Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘ubuntu’

Fixing Matlab errors in Ubuntu 12.10

I recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 in my system and found that the upgrade a lot of my system. A reasonable number of fixes were simple but some of them were very annoying. In this post I just wanted to discuss two specific errors I faced and how to fix them.

I use the student version of Matlab (32 bit) on a 64 bit machine. As part of upgrade to Ubuntu 12.10 , the installer removed multiple 32 bit files which caused the issue. When I tried to run Matlab , I got the following errors :

~/matlab/bin/matlab: 1: ~/matlab/bin/util/oscheck.sh: /lib/libc.so.6: not found

~/matlab/bin/glnx86/MATLAB: error while loading shared libraries: libXpm.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The first error is mostly harmless – I will describe how to fix it later in the blog post. Fixing the first error needed to install 386 (32bit) version of few packages. Of course, fixing one exposed the next error and so on. In the interest of time, I will put all the packages in the single command.

sudo apt-get install libxpm4:i386 libxmu6:i386 libxp6:i386

Running the above command worked and allowed Matlab to run. However, I then faced another issue – when I tried to save a plot, it was failing again with the following error : (fixing first caused the second)

MATLAB:dispatcher:loadLibrary Can’t load ‘~/matlab/bin/glnx86/libmwdastudio.so’: libXfixes.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
??? Error while evaluating uipushtool ClickedCallback

MATLAB:dispatcher:loadLibrary Can’t load ‘~/matlab/bin/glnx86/libmwdastudio.so’: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
??? Error while evaluating uipushtool ClickedCallback

 

To fix this, run the following command :

sudo apt-get install libxfixes3:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386

Finally, to fix the innocuous error :

~matlab/bin/matlab: 1: /home/neo/gLingua/matlab/bin/util/oscheck.sh: /lib/libc.so.6: not found

do the following :

sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc-2.15.so /lib/libc.so.6

Of course, make sure the libc-2.xx.so version is the correct one before running this command.

 

Hope this post helped !

Read Full Post »

I have been a happy Amazon Prime customer for the last couple of years. One of the biggest perks of using it the availability of large number of videos available for instantly watching. Infact, I watched almost all episodes of Star Trek (TOS to Voyager) using this method.

Sometime in the second or third week of January, this method broke down. Whenever, I tried to play the episodes of Voyager, I got an error in Flash player. Basically, it will open a dialog box saying ‘Updating Player’ which will soon error out saying "an error occurred and your player could not be updated”. If you retry, it will get stuck with ‘Updating Player’ .

I was using Ubuntu 11.10 on a 64 bit machine. I tried lot of things and nothing really worked. I installed and reinstalled Adobe Flash plugin and other codecs and basically made a mess of my system. Finally, I found a simple solution in Amazon Instant Video forum in an unrelated thread. The link is here . The solution is very simple . Install hal and libhal1 package for your distro. If you are using Ubuntu, the command is

sudo apt-get install libhal1 hal

 

Few of my friends also had this issue and installing these packages seems to fix the issue. Unfortunately, this useful tip seems buried under other  noise and hence I decided to put a separate blog post. If this did not fix the issue I recommend looking at Adobe’s Problems playing protected video content on 64-bit Ubuntu Linux page. This has some additional information on making flash work.

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »